Purchased in 1905 from the Martin Schur family, William M. Sheets entered into the business of providing funerals for his community. At the urging of his Father-in-law Andrew Henderson, an undertaker from Bringhurst, IN, Sheets bought what was then the furniture store that could provide ready-made coffins, established by Schur in 1876. Joined by son Kenneth A. in 1928, he and his wife Martha took over ownership in 1935. After the death of his father in 1937, Sheets moved the family business from downtown Lowell to its current location, the former home of Dr. Davis, at 604 E. Commercial Ave. in 1941.
In 1951, Ken and Martha's son William A. graduated mortuary school and joined his parents in the business, taking over ownership in 1961 with his wife Paula. Repeating history, Bill and Paula's eldest son Kenneth P. joined his parents in 1987 and upon Bill's retirement in 1993, took over the daily operations of the family business and then ownership in 2006. Over the years the building has seen several renovations to achieve its current stature and while the town has grown and daily life is greatly varied from 1905, one staple in the Lowell community is our family owned funeral home. A business that has become a long-standing tradition in Lowell and southern Lake County, IN.